Battery & Charger Technician - Cleveland, OH
Since 1983, we’ve helped customers with industrial forklift batteries, chargers, handling equipment, repair service, and more. We sell a full line of new and used forklift batteries.
The Battery and Charger Technician troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains all types of industrial batteries and chargers including fork lifts, railcar movers, container handlers, and terminal tractors.The Battery and Charger Technician performs routine maintenance and breakdown repair work in the field at customer sites. He/she prioritizes work orders, complies with safety incident reporting, and ensures all paperwork is submitted timely and accurately. The Battery and Charger Technician is responsible for providing excellent customer service and for maintaining company provided assets, including all work tools and vans.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots customer breakdowns; provides proper repairs to minimize equipment downtime and initiates estimates for repairs on site.
- Calls for assistance if unable to diagnose or troubleshoot issues within one hour of being on site.
- Performs routine scheduled maintenance including, but not limited to, standard inspections, repairing and replacing defective parts, and repairing charging equipment.
- Reviews repair work and scheduled maintenance results with customers, communicating any potential issues. Completes work orders in full when applicable and tests performance prior to leaving customer site.
- Palletizes batteries and chargers and makes ready for shipment either by common carrier or company vehicle in accordance with DOT regulations and company policies.
- Checks in customer batteries and chargers when received in the shop. Takes initial voltage and specific gravity readings, initiating shop paperwork per standard procedures.
- Removes, picks-up, delivers, and installs class 1, 2, and 3 batteries at customer locations. Properly fills out and return all transportation documents and paperwork.
- Performs POWERCARE maintenance at customer locations in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists Technician II and the Lead Technician with testing, repairs, and maintenance as directed.
- Follows work order instructions, keeping accurate records of time and parts used on jobs.
- Performs preventative maintenance repairs, maintaining accurate records, and ensuring supplies are stocked.
- Ensures Wilson Barrett property is maintained to the company’s 5S standards. The van is company property and any accidental damage should follow standard incident reporting procedures.
- Ensures time cards are accurately maintained and that jobs are allocated properly with start and end times.
- Responsible for field quoting and communicating services to customers.Is responsible to utilize the Mobile Service application to close out the day, fill out work orders, obtain customer signatures, finalize jobs, and mark as complete.
- Ensures work orders are fully completed with the following: job number, customer information (name and address), equipment (make, model number, serial number, hour meter), repair story (in the problem/cause/correction format), parts listing, and final customer signature (verifying completion).
- Reports to Wilson Barrett shop on a consistent basis to replenish parts and finalize work orders.
- Establishes consistent communication with the customer and keeps them informed of work status and any other pertinent account information.
- Provides daily status updates to the dispatchers and reviews any customer issues or concerns with the dispatcher and supervisor.
- Leads by example in promoting a safe workplace. Follows Wilson Barrett’s core safety values and ensures basic safety standards are adhered to including SDS, PPE, JSAs, hot work permits, and customer safety rules.
- Reports any safety violations or incidents to the dispatcher/supervisor immediately.
- Maintains professionalism on the job at all times.Performs other duties of a similar nature as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Vocational or technical certification preferred.
- One year of experience in a service, mechanical, or electrical technician role.
- Previous experience with computer diagnostics.
- Ability to interpret and apply schematic diagrams.
- Valid Driver’s License and driving record acceptable to insurance company.
- Ability to work independently and to effectively prioritize demands and execute tasks.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey information to internal and external customers in a clear and concise manner.
- Must have be knowledgeable in battery, chargers and battery changing systems– specifying, troubleshooting, evaluating various charging systems – fast charge, opportunity and conventional.
- Must be self -motivated, and have good independent judgment.
- Basic computer skills with the ability to quickly learn required software.
Additional Information: •Wilson Barrett is committed to safety • We offer opportunities for career advancement • We are a drug free workplace
Wilson Barrett is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary in addition to a
comprehensive program of employee benefits. We offer medical, dental, prescription drug, life insurance, short-term disability, 401k, and profit sharing. We also offer additional voluntary life insurance and long-term disability. Paid holidays, vacation, personal paid days, and educational assistance are also available.