Rental & Transportation Manager - Cleveland, OH
The Rental & Transportation Manager oversees all day-to-day responsibilities of the Rental and Transportation Departments. He/She manages the Rental Coordinators, the Transportation Coordinator, rental maintenance, utilization, damage billing, contract maintenance and compliance, fleet management and develops operational procedures and protocols to drive profitability and growth.
• Analyzes, identifies, develops, and executes internal procedures and process improvements for the Rental Departments, especially as they relate to financial benchmarks for rental.
• Inspects and measures staff performance, resulting in changes in work practices necessary to improve overall operations and customer service.
• Monitors asset utilization providing monthly reporting and recommendations to Operations Manager regarding the fleet size and possible relocation.
• Monitors rental asset depreciation on a unit by unit basis each month to ensure total expense is in line with financial benchmarks.
• Monitors maintenance to revenue percentages to identify trends, outliers and potential retirements within the rental fleet.
• Owns rental maintenance responsibilities to ensure accuracy of operational maintenance tracking and work order entry, approval of all repairs, work order review, and expense control.
• Ensures Rental Coordinators maintain gross profit margins between supplier cost and customer pricing.
• Cross-trains Rental and Transportation Coordinators on operational responsibilities including scheduling, equipment transportation, vendors, and compliance.
• Collaborates with branches regularly, ensuring open communication around operational processes.
• Analyzes rental and transportation asset depreciation and provides book values and suggested sale prices to management in other areas of the business.
• Reinforces company policies and practices for compliance with regulatory agencies, including federal and state Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO), and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
• Ensures internal departments follow the proper procedures for freight requests.
• Works with Transportation Coordinator to resolve freight disputes.
• Increases efficiency by developing and enforcing a proactive approach to freight requests.
• Monitors transportation calendar to ensure the efficient scheduling.
• Maintains relationships with transportation providers; ensures proper service and rates are upheld.
• Ensures sub-rental vendor invoices are approved timely and in line with the customer billing cycle.
• Communicates with Sales Representatives regularly to gather information regarding competition, market trends, unit demand, promotions, etc.
• Collaborates with other internal department staff members as needed, working closely with all company divisions to develop cross-selling strategies and ensure a great customer experience.
• Consistently works toward acquiring new business by generating leads, following up on them, and networking through current customers.
• Provides support to Asset Specialists ensuring rental inspections procedures are followed.
• Works with Rental Coordinators, following up with customers regarding abuse, damage, etc.
• Adjusts standard pricing and discounts based on overall market performance and asset demand.
• Establishes relationships with surrounding equipment dealers supporting rental fleet needs.
• Coordinates with upper management to determine assets to retire and assets to purchase based on utilization, depreciation, and market demand.
• Manages overall rental spend, approves payments, and executes processes to drive costs down.
• Monitors and reviews equipment inventory database within current systems.
• Is reliable and punctual in reporting for work as scheduled.
• Maintains professionalism on the job at all times.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in Logistics or business-related field preferred.
• At least two years of experience with material handling equipment (lift trucks, yard trucks, railcar movers, etc.).
• At least one year of customer service experience.
• Previous experience managing people and/or processes preferred.
• Valid Driver’s License and driving record acceptable to insurance company.
• Travel to branch locations and customer sites on a weekly basis.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to work independently and to effectively prioritize demands and execute tasks.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey information to internal and external customers in a clear and concise manner.
• Exceptional project management and organizational skills.