Staff Accountant - Cleveland, OH
TOWLIFT is a full-service material handling dealership, family owned since 1965. We provide
high-caliber maintenance and repair services for many types of equipment including a variety of forklifts, stock pickers, order pickers, turret trucks, reach trucks, powered walkies, pallet trucks, scissor lifts and Trackmobile railcar movers as well as Ottawa tractors.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for the monitoring and posting of transactions to the general ledger and related analysis of general ledger accounts. The Staff Accountant will also assist with the preparation of monthly financial statements and analysis, as well as monitoring and improving internal control processes as necessary.
• Maintains general ledger accounts and reconciles accounts on a regular basis, with a focus on sales, cost of sales, commissions, and inventory.
• Works with Sales Department and Supply Chain Administrator to maintain an accurate inventory database and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
• Distributes reports and collaborates with operations team to manage inventory levels; assists in analyzing inventory data, reviewing inventory turns, and identifying aging assets.
• Responsible for the sales commission process; calculates and reviews monthly commission accruals, prepares statements for approval, and facilitates the overall process.
• Collaborates with Sales Department as required to finalize monthly commission statements and forwards to HR for payout.
• Analyzes and reconciles balance sheet accounts such as commissions, deposits, inventory reserves, long term AR, and workers compensation.
• Reviews and posts daily PO invoices and unit sales to general ledger.
• Prepares journal entries for warranty invoices and reconciles the warranty AR account.
• Reconciles financial statements by branch and department each month by the respected deadline.
• Prepares monthly entries and posts to the general ledger.
• Partners with team members and managers to identify and implement business improvements to achieve ongoing operational efficiencies.
• Identifies accounting processing issues and performs root cause analyses; makes recommendations for improvement and drives solutions.
• Monitors posting of expense for proper classification and assignment to departments.
• Assists with the compilation of monthly financial statements and reports.
• Assists with annual financial audits, preparing requested documents and statements as needed.
• Prepares schedules necessary to support annual tax returns, particularly state apportionment.
• Assists with the training and developing the technical and analytical skills of less experienced team members.
• Maintains professionalism on the job.
• Reports for work as scheduled and arranges time off in accordance with policy.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
• Three or more years of accounting experience required.
• Proficient in data analysis, summarizing, and reporting.
• Strong problem-solving skills; ability to provide actionable insights.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel. Intermediate skills in remaining Microsoft Office suite.
• Works effectively both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Exhibit effective workload management skills through efficient time utilization including managing work-in-process and documenting progress for appropriate stakeholders/management.
• Familiar with policies, procedures, and programs to enhance financial effectiveness and operational efficiency.
• Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
• Strong sense of self-responsibility, self-motivation, and willingness to learn.
Additional Information: • Towlift is committed to safety • Towlift invests in our company and employees • We offer opportunities for career advancement • We are a drug-free and smoke-free workplace
Towlift is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary in addition to a comprehensive program of employee benefits. We offer medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401k, and profit sharing. We also offer additional voluntary life insurance. Paid holidays, vacation, personal paid days, and educational assistance are also available.