Staff Accountant - Cleveland, OH
TOWLIFT is a full-service material handling dealership, family owned since 1965. We provide
high-caliber maintenance and repair services for many types of equipment including a variety of forklifts, stock pickers, order pickers, turret trucks, reach trucks, powered walkies, pallet trucks, scissor lifts and Trackmobile railcar movers as well as Ottawa tractors.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for the monitoring and posting of transactions to the general ledger and related analysis of general ledger accounts. He/she will also assist with the preparation of monthly financial statements and analysis, as well as monitoring and improving internal control processes as necessary.
• Maintains general ledger accounts and reconciles accounts on a regular basis, with a focus on fixed assets, cash, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
• Reviews and updates fixed asset activity, including rental and leased equipment, on a monthly basis to ensure proper balances, using the information to compute and post depreciation expense.
• Maintains fixed asset database.
• Generates monthly deprecation reports for GAAP and tax.
• Monitors and reviews daily cash activity, codes and reconciles transactions, posts entries to the general ledger, and prepares daily cash report for Corporate Controller review.
• Ensures direct deposits and daily lockbox deposits are reviewed and reconciled.
• Monitors posting of expense for proper classification and assignment to departments.
• Processes monthly rental invoices for vehicle fleet and assists with monitoring /accounting for vehicle activity (acquisitions, disposals, repairs, etc.).
• Coordinates and assists with invoice processing for primary parts supplier, researches and communicates variances, and posts results to general ledger.
• Reconciles financial statements by branch and department each month by the respected deadline.
• Prepares monthly entries and posts to the general ledger.
• Distributes monthly financial statements and reports to management team.
• Assists with annual financial audits, preparing requested documents and statements as needed.
• Prepares schedules necessary to support annual tax returns, particularly state apportionment.
• Assists with the design and implementation of proper internal controls and segregation of duties.
• Assists with the development and maintenance of process documentation, including training and developing the technical and analytical skills of less experienced team members.
• Maintains professionalism on the job at all times.
• Reports for work as scheduled and arranges time off in accordance with policy.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
• CPA certification preferred.
• Three or more years of accounting experience.
• Two or more years of public accounting experience preferred.
• Fixed asset experience preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced Excel skills.
• Ability to work independently and to effectively prioritize demands and execute tasks.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external customers.
• Solid understanding of GAAP, including cost accounting.
• Strong project management and organizational skills.
• Flexibility to adapt to evolution of the role and new processes.
Additional Information: • Towlift is committed to safety • Towlift invests in our company and employees • We offer opportunities for career advancement • We are a drug-free and smoke-free workplace
Towlift is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary in addition to a comprehensive program of employee benefits. We offer medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401k, and profit sharing. We also offer additional voluntary life insurance. Paid holidays, vacation, personal paid days, and educational assistance are also available.